These pillowy soft, cinnamon and cardamom spiked, Gluten Free Molasses Cookies are made with sorghum flour and are a delightfully decadent treat, especially with a steaming cup of coffee.
They say that growth happens when we step outside our comfort zone… but, stepping outside my comfort zone (in some arena’s of my life) can be downright grueling!
However, recently, I decided to try to step outside my comfort zone by signing up to be a participant in The Great Food Blogger Cookie Swap. I have issues with sharing and I figured what better way than a cookie swap for me to try to step out of them – right?
Initially, when I found out that I’d be baking and sending 3 food bloggers a dozen cookies each, I broke out into a sweat and my eyes started twitching! Ugh… as a food blogger I thought I shared recipes – not (almost) ALL the Molasses Cookies I made! I was starting to re-evaluate this whole giving is better than receiving dealio. It was a good thing my daughter helped me pack them, because had she not been hovering, I would have acted like a vampire at a blood bank!
But then, after these Molasses Cookies were (safely) on their way to Tara, Jessica and Lauren; something magical happened! I received a dozen Pumpkin Spice Icebox Cookies from Christina followed by a dozen Chocolate Mocha cookies from Brianna and another dozen Triple Gingersnap Cookies with Lemon Cream Filling from Lindsey! Oh yeah – receiving sure is a whole lot better than giving…oh snap…I think that’s supposed to be the other way around eh?
The 5th annual Great Food Blogger Cookie Swap was organized by Lindsay and Julie, with proceedings benefiting Cookies for Kids’ Cancer. Brand Partners: Dixie Crystals, Land of Lakes, & OXO not only sent out some seriously cool swag to us participants, but they also matched donations dollar for dollar!
Gluten Free Molasses Cookies
- 1 cup butter 2 sticks
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 cup confectioners sugar
- 3/4 cup molasses
- 2 eggs
- 4 1/2 cups sorghum flour
- 1/2 teaspoon cardamom
- 1/4 teaspoon almond extract
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- Cream the butter and brown sugar together till well incorporated with an electric mixer
- Add in the confectioners sugar
- Then beat in the molasses and 2 eggs
- Add in 1/2 cup sorghum flour at a time -beating mix between- till all 4 1/2 cups are added
- Add salt, cardamom, almond extract and baking powder
- Cover mixture and chill for an hour or more (mix will keep in the refrigerator for up to 2 weeks)
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees
- Roll cookies into balls - flatten balls and place on parchment-lined baking tray and bake for 10 to 12 minutes
- Let cool and enjoy.