This shop has been compensated by Collective Bias, Inc. and its advertiser. All opinions are mine alone.
If you happen to be a parent; or, an uncle or aunt; or, have the pleasure of listening to kids in some capacity; at some point you might have though to yourself: “gosh darn it! kid’s say the darndest things“!
But, sometimes, the darndest things kids say, end up turning into some fun treats for us adults.
A few years ago, a friend of mine brought her then seven year old son over for s’mores around a bonfire in my backyard. We had the usual graham crackers, marshmallows and chocolates and as the night wore on and we chatted around that fire, her son had the brilliant idea to use chocolate chip cookies instead of graham crackers. Of course, my friend got alarmed at the possibility of him bouncing off the walls after all that extra sugar and vetoed his suggestion. But, the next time she and I got together for coffee, sans kids, – guess what we had? Yup – oven baked s’mores on chocolate chip cookies! And, we sure did enjoy them!
Recently, this same friend of mine had my daughter and I over for lunch at her place; and as we dug into a fruit salad for dessert, a friend of her son’s (he had two of his friends over “to balance the estrogen in the house“) suggested breaking into his box of Rice Krispies Treats® as well. As we started opening packages for them, this same little chap suggested we drown the Rice Krispies Treats® in melted chocolate! Of course, my friend got alarmed at the thought of spending a whole afternoon with three boys bouncing off the walls and vetoed it! But, (you bet there’s a but) the next time we got together for a ladies coffee break, we had these Peanut and Chocolate Smothered Rice Krispies Treats® to enjoy!
I picked up some Rice Krispies Treats®, peanut butter, coconut oil, 2 types of chocolate, m&m’s, honey and marshmallows from my neighborhood Target (Rice Krispies Treats® are available on the aisle where the granola bars are as well as several end caps around the store, and also by the registers) before heading to my friends place. And over coffee, this fun treat emerged!
This treat involves smothering Rice Krispies Treats® in chocolate, waiting for that layer to harden and then smothering them with a layer of peanut butter, coconut oil and honey, waiting for that to harden and then smothering some in another layer of chocolate and drizzling ALL (the ones with chocolate/peanut butter as well as the ones with chocolate/peanut butter/chocolate) in dark chocolate and decorating with marshmallows and m&ms or whatever decadence you can think of!
• Unwrap a Rice Krispies Treats®.
• Grab 4 grilling sticks and place 3 mini Jet Puffed Marshmallows on each – then attach the Rice Krispies Treats® on each.
• Melt 1 cup dark chocolate or semi-sweet chocolate chips in a microwave -at 30 second intervals – stirring between each interval. It took me 2 – 30 second intervals to melt mine.
• Coat the Rice Krispies Treats® with the melted chocolate and place on parchment paper.
• Let this layer harden in the fridge for about 15-20 minutes.
• While waiting for this chocolate layer to harden; in a saucepan over a low flame, add 2 tablespoons coconut oil, 5 tablespoons peanut butter and 2 tablespoons honey, and whisk constantly till melted and mixed together.
• Coat the chocolate covered Rice Krispies Treats® with the peanut butter mix and let harden (for about 20 minutes in the fridge) Remove from the fridge and recoat the Rice Krispies Treats® with the peanut butter mix and decorate a couple with Plain M&Ms or Peanut M&Ms return to the fridge -on another piece of parchment paper- to harden for another 15-20 minutes.
• While peanut smothered Rice Krispies Treats® are in the fridge, melt 1 cup milk chocolate chips – I melted mine in a microwave, I put it in for 30 seconds, removed it and stirred it and returned it to the microwave for another 30 seconds.
• Remove the peanut coated Rice Krispies Treats® from the fridge and trim any excess off with a sharp knife.
• I coated the other two of the Rice Krispies Treats® with this melted milk chocolate mix and decorated them with plain M&Ms and drizzled them with the leftover melted dark/semi sweet chocolate for a delightful and decadent treat.
YOU can be entered into a random drawing for a chance to WIN BIG
by voting for your favorite Kellogg’s® Rice Krispies Treats® recipe on the Kellogg’s Family Rewards® Website and via various social media platforms.
Twenty (20) Grand Prize winners will be randomly drawn at the conclusion of the Sweepstakes from among all eligible entries received.
$250 Bank-issued, pre-loaded Gift Card;
Kellogg’s® Rice Krispies Treats® squares (XX ct.)
Beats Pills™ Portable Stereo Speaker by Dr. Dre™
(1) bag of Jet-Puffed Mini Marshmallows (10 oz.)
(1) bag of Jet-Puffed Chocolate Swirl snacking marshmallows (3 oz.)
(1) Jet-Puffed Strawberry snacking marshmallows (3 oz.)
(1) bag of Jet-Puffed S’moresMallows
(1) bag of Jet-Puffed StarMallows (8 oz.)
Assorted MARS products
(1) M&M’s® dispenser
(1) M&M’s® Milk Laydown Bag
Contest voting runs 3/24-5/3/15
For full rules, visit the Contest Website.