This Instant Pot Chicken Stew is a hearty and healthy meal packed full of tender chicken, potatoes, and veggies in an aromatic and delicious sauce.
This Instant Pot Chicken Stew is simply delicious. The thick and highly aromatic sauce that makes up the base of this stew is deliciously spiced with onion, garlic, ginger, coriander, smoked paprika, and turmeric. This stew is tasty from the first spoonful. And, it just gets better with time ~ that is if you can manage to make it last longer than for one meal!
As for the rest of the ingredients, I used what I had lying around in my freezer and pantry.
I had some leftover air-chilled chicken breasts hanging out in my freezer along with a packet of opened frozen veggies. I decided to clean out my freezer and use these along with some canned fire roasted tomatoes and a large, lonely potato.
Chicken stew is one of those meals that I usually reserve for cooler weather. But, after a few weeks of a hectic schedule, my daughter and I were craving something comforting. And this stew did not disappoint. All that was involved was a bit of stirring and simmering – thanks to the Instant Pot I finally got around to using.
Why we love this Instant Pot Chicken Stew:
• It is so scrumptious,
• It is thick and hearty,
• It’s dairy free,
• Packs a healthy, nutritious punch,
• It’s made with pantry staples,
• It is a meal-in-one with approximately 400 calories only,
• It’s immensely budget friendly, and
• It is a quick and easy meal to enjoy using an Instant Pot (if you don’t have an IP, I have included stove top directions as well below.)
What are the ingredients to make this Instant Pot Chicken Stew?
There are only 12 ingredients that go into making this stew, and they are:
• Frozen veggies
• Canned fire roasted tomatoes
• Smoked paprika
• Chili powder
Also needed will be salt and pepper to season this according to your taste. And, an optional garnish of parsley, chili flakes, and diced creamy avocado.
How to make this Instant Pot Chicken Stew?
- First start off by prepping the onions, garlic, and ginger by peeling them and chopping them well. Wash and dry the potato and cut it into bite sized pieces as well. Also chop the chicken breasts into bite sized pieces.
- Then, add olive oil to the Instant Pot and set it to saute for 10 minutes at medium heat.
- At this point, add the onions and saute about 5 minutes, giving the chopped onion a stir from time to time.
- Add in the chopped garlic and ginger and saute the rest of the 5 minutes.
- Then add in the chopped chicken, chopped potato, frozen veggies, canned fire roasted tomatoes, coriander, smoked paprika, turmeric, chili powder, and water and set Instant Pot to stew for 20 minutes on medium heat.
- Secure the IP lid and relax while the Instant Pot works it’s magic.
- When done, season with salt and pepper and serve garnished with parsley, chili flakes, and diced avocado.
Stove-top option to make this Chicken Stew:
- Follow the prep steps as above.
- Then add 2 tablespoons olive oil to a deep pan and saute the onions for 10 minutes over medium heat.
- Then add in the garlic and ginger and saute another 5 minutes.
- Add in the chopped chicken, chopped potato, frozen veggies, canned fire roasted tomatoes, coriander, smoked paprika, turmeric, chili powder, and water and stir well. Cover and let simmer over low heat for 30 minutes.
- Season with salt and pepper and serve garnished garnished with parsley, chili flakes, and diced avocado.
Hoping you and your family enjoy this easy, no-fuss, Instant Pot chicken stew as much as my daughter and I do.
If you are looking for more healthy and hearty dishes like this that are 500 calories or less, make sure to subscribe way below 👇🏾 and receive a FREE ebook in your inbox!