Decadently, creamy and luscious, this aromatically spiced Slow Cooker Salmon Curry is comfort food for me – I hope you find it to be your comfort food too.
As a child, I grew up eating curry – vegetable curry, egg curry, chicken curry – you name it – my mom could curry just about everything. One of my favorites of all her curries was her fish curry – and it didn’t matter what fish she used. These days, when I need something comforting, I tend to turn to fish curry. Warm, creamy, soul and taste bud satisfying, fish curry. And that’s what this salmon curry is – luscious, creamy, so incredibly aromatic and tasty – and it came together by throwing a bunch of ingredients into a slow cooker.
Usually, I don’t employ a slow cooker to make curry. Usually, I manage to pull together a salmon curry in less than 30 minutes on the stove. But, lately, life has been a tab bit busy. Sometimes, all I have is 5 to 10 minutes between getting home from my day job and then going onto wherever my daughter needs me to be. While 5 to 10 minutes isn’t enough time for me to pull together a curry, it is plenty of time for me to throw a few ingredients into a slow cooker before I head out. That way, when we get home a few hours later, we have a warm and nutritious meal waiting on us.
I have noticed that whenever I make curry in a slow cooker, it always ends up being so much more flavorful than when I make curry on the stove top – I am thinking it’s because all the ingredients get to hang out together longer. This Salmon Curry is dairy free as I used coconut milk and there’s no pre-prep involved – how cool is that eh?!
My daughter and I enjoyed this Slow Cooker Salmon Curry with some cardamom and clove spiced saffron rice. I sure do hope you give this a try and maybe, just maybe it will be your comfort food too?
This recipe first appeared on Today Food, if you happen to like this recipe, please click >HERE< and give it a thumbs up.
I was provided with an All-Clad slow cooker, if you happen to be in the market for a slow cooker, please check out what All-Clad has to offer >HERE<
Slow Cooker Salmon CurryPrint
- 6 pieces salmon without skin
- 1 onion chopped
- 6 cloves garlc chopped
- 2 teaspoons freshly grated ginger
- 3 stalks celery chopped
- 2 carrots chopped
- 2 cans coconut milk I used lite
- ½ cup vegetable stock
- 1 12 ounce can tomato paste
- 1 ½ teaspoons coriander
- 1 ½ teaspoons cumin
- 1 teaspoon chili powder can reduce to ½ for a milder curry or eliminate entirely
- 2 teaspoons smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- ½ teaspoon pepper
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- chopped cilantro parsley, and chili flakes to garnish
- Turn on slow cooker
- Pour in the 2 cans of coconut milk
- Dollop the tomato paste in (I did not mix this with the coconut milk - just dumped it in in spoonfuls)
- Add in vegetable stock
- Add in coriander, cumin, chili, turmeric and paprika
- Add in salt and pepper
- Stir the ingredients together well
- Place salmon pieces into the slow cooker - trying your best for them not to overlap
- Add in the onions, garlic, ginger, celery and carrots
- Put the lid on and set the timer for 2.75 hours on low (I used my AllClad slow cooker and set my timer for 4 hours as that was the lowest option for the low setting, but I turned it off at the 2 hours and 45 minutes mark)
- Garnish and serve with rice or naan