Cardamom pods, whole cloves, onions, ginger and garlic go into making this Spicy Cauliflower with Figs an invitingly aromatic dish to add to your Thanksgiving/Holiday table!
Now “Spicy Cauliflower with Figs” might sound a bit unusual. But, the fact that this is a blend of spicy with sweet dried California figs thrown in, isn’t the only unusual bit.
You see, there are cardamom pods and whole cloves in this dish too.
Growing up in Sri Lanka I found that cardamom pods and whole cloves were often used to add an inviting aroma to a savory/spicy dish. Unlike sweet dishes, I don’t think they add strong flavoring, but a very subtle flavoring that seems to enhance the other spices they are mingling with.
Now, if you cannot find whole cloves or cardamom pods, then you could add a pinch (and not a smidge more) of cardamom powder and ground cloves for a wonderful aroma. The key is to add just a subtle amount so they are not overpowering but enhancing of those other flavors in this.
Thanksgiving Menu Ideas:
Now this is not a traditional American holiday dish, but, if you are looking to add a spicy spin to your holiday table, and are looking for an easy and delicious dish that’s sure to stir up some sort of conversation, then go ahead and whip this Spicy Cauliflower with Figs up.
Last year I added a spicy spin to our holiday turkey by serving this Spicy Honey Turkey.
Which would pair well with sides like these Sausage and Green Beans,
And, these Ginger Cardamom Carrots,
And these Cast-iron Garlic Herb Potatoes,
However, this year, with only three days to go, I’m on the fence if I should go with my mom’s plan to whip up an Instant Pot Chicken Biryani which is much like this Chicken Biryani with Figs and Nuts and some eggplant or recreate last years meal…hmmm…
While I am on the fence as to what will be on our Thanksgiving table, I do know that I will be adding this healthy-ish Sweet Potato Streusel Bake to our thanksgiving dessert table along with a sugar free trifle or two!
Hoping every one of y’all enjoy Thanksgiving 2018 with those you hold dear!
If you happen to make this Spicy Cauliflower with Figs, please do let me know your thoughts on it and, if you love it, please tag #savoryspin @savoryspin on social media so I can reshare it. You can also FOLLOW ME on FACEBOOK, TWITTER, INSTAGRAM and PINTEREST to get recipe ideas and inspiration.
- 3 tbsp oil of your choice (I used grapeseed)
- 1 onion chopped
- 3 cloves garlic chopped
- 1 tsp ginger freshly grated
- 1 tbsp mustard seeds
- 7-10 whole cloves
- 7-10 cardamom pods
- 1 head cauliflower with cauliflower florets separated
- 2 tsp coriander
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- 1/2 tsp turmeric
- 1/4 tsp chili powder
- 6-7 California Dried Figs chopped up
- 1/8 cups water
- salt and pepper
- 2 tbsp chopped cilantro leaves
- Add oil to pan over medium heat and also add in the chopped onion and mustard seeds. Let onion and mustard seeds saute a couple of minutes.
- Then add in the ginger, garlic, cardamom pods and whole cloves. Let these saute about 8 more minutes, stirring occasionally so they don't catch.
- Add cauliflower florets, sprinkle on the turmeric, smoked paprika, chili powder and coriander.
- Add the water to the pan and place the chopped figs on top. Reduce heat to low-medium, cover pan and let cook for about 10 minutes - check occasionally to make sure the water isn't running dry. If it does, then add in another tablespoon or two of water.
- When done, stir well. Season with salt and pepper to taste and stir. Then garnish with chopped cilantro and enjoy.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 132 Total Fat: 7.9g Saturated Fat: 1g Carbohydrates: 14.6g Fiber: 3.9g Sugar: 2.1g Protein: 2.3g