Smoky and spicy, this aromatic chipotle lentil stew is packed with flavor. Paired with roti, it makes for a filling dinner. And, this chipotle lentil stew is also thick enough to enjoy as a dip with veggie crudités and crackers.
My daughter and I love this chipotle lentil stew as it is:
✅ so incredibly tasty. It is packed with layers of intense flavor from the coriander, smoked paprika, turmeric, garlic, ginger, and chipotle peppers in adobo sauce.
✅ so versatile: it can masquerade as a thick and filling stew as well as a delicious dip. If you like, you can add in an additional cup and a half of water to thin this stew out into a soup.
✅ healthy. With inflammation-fighting turmeric and no dairy or added sugar in it, it packs a heavy nutritional punch.
✅ so easy to make. Just add everything to an Instant Pot, sauté for ten minutes and set it and forget it for another 15 minutes and boom- dinner is ready!
✅ made with only 10 pantry staple ingredients!
What are the 10 ingredients in this chipotle lentil stew, you ask?
- Dry lentils
- Canned Coconut milk
- Coriander powder
- Smoked paprika
- Canned chipotle peppers in adobo sauce
What does this stew pair with?
When I made this stew, we ate a small bowlful of it with some mango chutney and roti.
This is my birth week and last night my daughter asked me what I wanted for my birthday dinner. I ruminated on her question and realized that all I wanted was some lentil stew, some salmon and roti.
I’m a forty-something year old and at my age I feel it’s so much more fun to celebrate the birthdays of those I people in my circle than my own.
So, with that said, today ~ in addition to this recipe for chipotle lentil stew ~ I’m sharing favorite recipes from forty one, 40+ year old bloggers I know via the ad network I’m fortunate to partner with.
Hoping September is a better month for all…
Now here’s the recipe for this Chipotle Lentil Stew:
- 2 tbsp oil
- 1 onion
- 4 cloves garlic
- 2 inch piece of fresh ginger
- 1 cup dry lentils
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup Coconut milk (I used canned coconut milk but packaged coconut milk can be used as well.
- 3 tsp coriander powder
- 2 tsp smoked paprika
- 1/2 tsp turmeric powder
- 3 chipotle peppers + 3 tbsp adobo sauce (from a can of chipotle peppers in adobo sauce)
- salt + pepper to taste
- Optional - cilantro and chili flakes to garnish
- Peel and chop the onion and garlic cloves. Peel the ginger as well and chop it very fine or use a microplane grater and grate the ginger so the ginger flavor is distributed evenly throughout the stew. Also chop up the chipotle peppers.
- Set a Instant Pot to saute for 10 minutes. Add the oil and onion, ginger, and garlic and saute for 10 minutes.
- Add in the coconut milk, water, lentils, coriander, smoked paprika, turmeric, and chipotle peppers + adobo sauce to the Instant Pot.
- Set the Instant Pot to the stew setting and the timer to 15 minutes, cover it and let it work it's magic.
- When done, season with salt and pepper to taste. And, if desired, garnish with chili flakes and chopped cilantro and enjoy!
- After prepping the onions, garlic, ginger, and chipotle peppers in adobo sauce.
- Add the onions to a large pan with the oil and saute about 5 minutes.
- Add in the garlic and ginger and saute another 5 minutes.
- Then add in the coconut milk, water, lentils, coriander, smoked paprika, turmeric, and chipotle peppers + adobo sauce. Cover the pan and let simmer for 25-30 minutes or until the lentils are tender. You might need to add more water to thin out the stew as more water will be escaping/evaporating.
- As above, when done, season with salt and pepper to taste. And, if desired, garnish with chili flakes and chopped cilantro and enjoy!
* For a thinner soup, add 1.5 more cups of water (total 2.5 cups). You can adjust the water content to thicken or thin this stew so it meets your preference.
Nutrition InformationYield 6 Serving Size 1
Amount Per Serving Calories 411Total Fat 30gSaturated Fat 22gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 6gCholesterol 0mgSodium 155mgCarbohydrates 30gFiber 6gSugar 3gProtein 11g